Vast, big, extensive.
How to put 100 years of photography in Asia Pacific region into one show..... I wouldn't know where to start and it appears the curator didn't either, The show seemed to be a mish mash of context and styles, it was almost like the just hung the pictures in date order or as they came out of the packing crates. other than the time line not much held the direction of the show together.
Also it has a touch of the colonialist to it, a retrospect through eyes that no longer exist...... Now that that's said, The photos themselves were amazing. The different photographic tectonics used fascinated me, I was looking a print (Albumen) that was over 100a years old and the amount of detail and the sharpness blew me away, compared with many of its contemporaries the Albumen prints were such high quality. My pick of the show would either be the huge panorama of Sydney or the seemingly less significant "Dawn Patrol" by Towner H. Phillips C1941.
Overall and amazing collection of photographs even if I had to put on my Rule Britannia glasses.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment